Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

52 in 52 Book 9: "Almost Dead" by TR Ragan

       So I just finished Almost Dead,  Book 5 in the Lizzy Gardner Series.  I happened upon this series via Book Bub and have loved it so far.  I got a free e-edition of the first in the series, a fave for sure, and have anxiously anticipated each novel since then.
       Lizzy Gardner is a woman who was abducted and held captive by a psychopath, called Spiderman,  when she was a teenager. (Yes, SPIDERMAN...just go with it...and leave the lights on when you read it.)   She'd just returned home from a romantic date with her boyfriend and was snatched from the street.  She ultimately escapes, but so does Spiderman.  Flash forward fourteen years - Lizzy is a private investigator who spend her free time teaching young women self-defense.  The problems start when Spiderman comes back into her life wanting revenge.  
       Lizzy's story continues to unfold in subsequent novels, always keeping me entertained, on the edge of my seat, and wanting more.   Ragan's writing is, at times, so descriptive that it totally creeped me out.  I got to know the characters well, and was pulling for them, even Hayley.  (Read them, you'll understand.)
       Almost Dead took a turn I was not expecting.  While the plot was good, it felt like Ragan was rushing the resolution at times.  In addition, the ending of this book takes the series in a completely different direction and quite honestly I am disappointed.  While I will give book six a chance, I am pretty skeptical at this point.
       That said, the first five are great.  They are also bargain priced, all being under $5.  They are quick reads that will keep you turning pages and interested in the twists and turns of the plot.  Read them in order for the best experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them!