Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2015

52 in 52: Book 1

So one of the goals I wanted to complete this year was "52 in 52:  Fifty-two books in fifty-two weeks".  I know it sounds lofty, but I'm hoping I can do it.  I might have to have a few guest bloggers to help me, but I think it's a worthy goal.

That said, the first title for this new endeavor should be something spectacular like Unbroken by Laura Hildenbrand or Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, right?  Um, well...it's not.  My daughter and I chose books right before Christmas break with the intention of reading/trading.  We've been through all the John Green books (Looking for Alaska is my very favorite), some Rainbow Rowell, Lauren Oliver and Kiera Cass to name a few.  It helps that  she discovers new authors all the time thanks to the gals over at Epic Reads (they are hysterical and interesting, too...give them a look) and other sites.  Anyway, I perused the YA shelves at my local bookstore and quite honestly ended up grabbing something from the "Must Read" display and called it a day.  How bad could it be?

The cover of the book read: Lux: Beginnings by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  I should have looked at it more closely.  It ended up being the first two books in a FIVE BOOK SERIES.  Oh dear.  The title of Book 1 was "Obsidian".   I started reading it and I have to say, I loved it.  Now remember, I am in no way a YA.  In fact I am a lot closer to OA. :-)  But as somebody who loved Twilight (the books, NOT the movies) I found this to be a lot of fun.  It was a quick read with an interesting plot line.  Here's a peek:

Obsidian
There’s an alien next door. And with his looming height and eerie green eyes, he’s hot…until he opens his mouth. He’s infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, he marks me. Turns out he has a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal his abilities and the only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Ok, aliens, romance and teen angst?  Sure, why not.  I actually like YA reads quite a bit.  I think it's a hold over from my 20 years as a middle school ELA teacher.  I enjoyed reading them so I could talk with the kids about what they were reading.  I'm glad I did, because there is a wide array of interesting, compelling books out there that I could have missed if  I had turned my nose up at the YA label.

I must admit, I'm a sucker for a series. I like the fact that I get to know characters and can follow them and watch them grow.   I have now read through book three in the Lux Series.  While it is reminiscent of Twilight, I found it quite a bit more charming and even funny in spots.  It's pretty tame so far too, so if you have a YA interested in reading it, no worries.

So that's #1 of 52 for 2015.  I have a rather eclectic taste in books, so no judgements.  Please.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them!