Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2016

My Dad has superpowers...


       He may not have a cape or a Batmobile, but truly, my dad has  superpowers.  They include the ability to rattle of measurements in 16ths and 8ths - which has had me stymied since grade school.  (Note:  Somebody needs to make a tape measure for dummies that has all of that printed on it.  I would buy one.  Many people I know would buy one.  They'd be a millionaire!) He's an electrician, plumber, drywall expert, painting guru, master woodworker, and so much more.  Jealous?  You should be.
     The only problem with this scenario is that he truly has to be a part of each and every job in the house.  He is constantly being pulled off one task to advise on another.  This causes the  inevitable "Where'd I put that tool?" conversation and hunt around the house and ticks him off to boot.
     Now not everything on this project is sunshine and roses.  Dad and I can clash.  He is a perfectionist and I am an "it's perfect enough and nobody will notice if it's off by 1/100th of an inch".  This can cause friction because I drive him nuts.
The nice thing is that most of the time we can laugh our irritation off and at the end of the day it's
forgotten.
     Another issue is that he's worked so hard on this house that he's injured his wrist.  He has exaggerated tendonitis in his wrist and has to wear a brace.  We know when it's been a particularly hard day when he's rubbing it at the dinner table.  Ice follows, but what he really needs is rest.   Do you think that slows him down?  Nope! I don't know if I will ever be able to thank him for all he's done for me.  I hope he knows how much I love him...not for the things he does, but for the man he is.  <3
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them!